This month's awesome artist spotlight goes to the talented cosplayer Rhiley!!!! Check out some awesome photo work and learn more about her below!!
· Where are you from?
Originally Northern Virginia, but now I live in Richmond
· How did you end up at your first convention or anime inspired event? If you were in your first cosplay? What was it?
My first convention was Katsucon 2014, and I had been planning on going since the previous year when my friend told me about it when she went in 2013. She was also the person who encouraged me to start cosplaying. My first cosplay, which I wore for Sunday of the con was Grimdark Rose Lalonde from Homestuck. I bought a t-shirt, and my grandmother helped me sew a long black skirt to pair with it. I just used a scarf as a belt and styled my actual hair like Rose’s instead of using a wig
· How long have you been cosplaying/creating art/shooting for? What do you think has been the greatest change in the community since you’ve started your art form?
I’m an artist all-around, and have been creating for as long as I can remember, but I started cosplaying in 2013. I think the largest change in the community has to be its size and popularity. It’s insane to see the growth of a niche hobby from 2013 to 2018. It’s only been five years
· Who are your head cannon cosplays, or favorite cosplays to shoot or draw?
My main cosplay definitely has to be 2B from NieR : Automata. I’ve cosplayed her so many times, and multiple versions of her, and still going! I have people come to me all the time about my cosplays of her, which makes me feel super happy because she’s one of my favorite characters ever!!
· Which cosplay/drawing/photo shoot has provided you with the most challenge so far? Which one has been the most rewarding?
Surprisingly, one of the simplest-looking cosplays, my bunny Bulma, was actually one of the hardest cosplays I’ve constructed yet! For that cosplay, I decided to create a steel-boned, corseted bunny suit, which proved to be much much harder than anticipated! Creating it took much longer than I had originally planned, but I learned a lot from making it. My most rewarding cosplay probably has to be either my Raven cosplay, or my Black Cat D.Va. Raven for the reaction it received, and D.Va for my crafting achievements
· What is your favorite convention to attend and why?
I don’t get to attend that many cons a year, but I have attended Katsucon since I started in 2014, and am going to continue to attend! My other favorite is definitely BlerDCon! I’ve been going for the past two years since the convention started, and the community is like no other! Just tons of positivity left and right, and the connections I’ve made from it are amazing
· What are your hobbies outside of your particular art form?
Outside of cosplay I’m a visual artist, currently in art school to make my hobbies my job! I love drawing, fashion design, and also a bit of photography! My other main hobby would probably be gaming
· How do you balance that with your normal everyday life?
It can be hard sometimes, but I just have to know when to make time for the other things in life. I feel that since I take cosplay so seriously, that it overlaps in to my everyday life and I have so many friends with similar interests because of it. I’m turning my love into my job, and so instead of getting in the way of everything else, I want it to boost it
· Is there anything else you want to tell people thinking about stepping into the world of cosplay/art/photography?
Have fun with it. This isn’t a competition, and nothing has to be perfect. Do what you enjoy, and as long as it isn’t hurting anyone else, it’s all good! Don’t let anyone get you down
· Where can we find you on social media or check out some of your work?